UNS Alloys Registration Process
Submitting a Composition for a New UNS Alloy Number
- The complete chemical composition shall be disclosed
- The composition request shall include, for each registered element, a definitive range or a maximum or minimum, and only one element noted as remainder.
- All controlling and significant elements shall be included, not to exceed 14 elements.
- A "copper plus sum of named elements" shall be included.
- A "Designation," or "Previous Trade Name" where appropriate may be included.
- The requested copper or copper alloy composition shall be in commercial use or be proposed for commercial use.
- The requested composition shall not fall within the limits of any designated composition already in the published Standard Designation list.
- The registration request should include a suggested UNS Number, with a written justification, including the appropriate alloy family title for the group in which it would be included. The proposed Number should logically fall within the chemical compositions of similar alloys in the family of alloys. (Copper, Brass, Phosphor Bronze, etc.) The committee will review the appropriateness of the requested number and recommend to the secretariat the assignment of a UNS alloy number that best fits the system. The secretariat will make the final determination of the UNS alloy number.
- A completed property data sheet (PDF 708KB) shall accompany the request. Failure to provide the necessary data will unnecessarily delay processing of the request. Blank data sheet forms are available on request from the CDA publication office in New York. The property data sheet can also be downloaded and then filled and submitted electronically in Adobe Acrobat.
- In order to assure that requests be considered at the next UNS Copper Alloy Registration & Advisory Committee meeting, the request must be received by the secretariat in New York no later than April 1st, or October 1st (for the June or December meetings, respectively). It is essential that all information regarding these requests be disseminated to the Committee members prior to the meetings for review.